#Scandal “Snake in The Garden” Review
First off that Fitz gif will never, ever get old. That was my reaction to that last moment of Jake admitting he killed Osbourne. It’s just too early to have Jake come out as the mole. It’s 217 and we have until 222 (season 2 finale) for EVERYTHING to unravel. So Jake needs more people on him being the mole. For all we know he could be working for the actual mole. Hence why this happened…
Once again I must say hats off to the cast, crew, Shonda, Lyn Paolo, the guest stars, and the writers of Scandal for delivering solid, GOOD television!
“Snake in the Garden” – The team find themselves working for the devil when Hollis Doyle’s daughter is kidnapped and held for ransom. Meanwhile, David is still in danger and is forced to seek shelter at Pope & Associates; Olivia and Jake take their flirtatious relationship to the next level even as the President continues to rely on Jake for intel; in the White House, Cyrus will stop at nothing to get back into the President’s good graces; and Mellie’s claws come out when she tells Fitz he needs to make some changes.
- Hollis was RIGHT! Even The Devil Loves His Children. Maybelle was kidnapped herself to get MORE money out of him. She had us ALL fooled there, didn’t she? She cut off her ear for $20 Million. When Huck discovered she was her own kidnapper though? Hollis made her pick between money and family and this silly girl picked money! It just makes you wonder the crazy lies Maybelle must have told Hollis in the past to make him NOT believe she was kidnapped!
- Olivia’s gut is not off! She told Cyrus that something’s not right there with Jake but she’s going to jump. Anyone caught how she wore white for the dinner date that never happened? She tackled the date as Olivia Pope the fixer. Hats off to Lyn Paolo once again proving that Olivia’s Gladiator Armor Cloak is her clutch. So her gut’s not off. It’s just that she doesn’t have much luck in the men department. (Exception: Fitz).
- Harrison!!! Harrison doesn’t like David’s reluctance for proper grooming.
- Tonight we got to learn much more about the mysterious Harrison Wright and he’s all so observant! Loved his line about rich folks and fashion!
Also Harrison is NOT here for a possible Dabby reunion and not on his watch. Okay maybe he’s NOT here for David being so sloppy with his eating habits.
- QUINN! Quinn wanted a family just as much as Huck needed a new family. Remember how Huck told her that the Lindsay Dwyer died so Quinn Perkins could live? I think what triggered Quinn reaching out to her dad was seeing the devil (Hollis) get emotional over the thought of losing his daughter. I loved how Huck got her a family. I also enjoyed how Huck’s training Quinn. Quinn has come a long way from “Too Much Cleavage” hasn’t she?
- CLEAN SLATE. Olivia used that on Maybelle about having the chance to start over/do-ever. Once again it echoes her private life, right? A Olitz Do-Over? (fingers crossed!)
- Close your eyes. Did he fall for his mark for honest reasons? Olivia may have told Cyrus that she’s jumping but she also made a point that something doesn’t add up!
- You’re Big Jerry. Mellie seriously got through to Fitz. She called him out, didn’t she? The very person Fitz has fought HARD his whole life NOT to become is what he became - his dead father Big Jerry.
- Team OC - Why is everyone cheating on me? Olivia and Cyrus still have that bond, right? Cyrus is happy that he’s now on Fitz’s good side and because of that wants to celebrate that moment with his old tradition of popcorn and wine with Olivia but Olivia has plans! Also was I the only yelling at my TV screen at Cyrus AND Olivia??? They BOTH know Jake. Cyrus knows Jake’s coming for his spot. Olivia’s opening up to Jake. Come on now! Tell one another but I guess that wouldn’t have been necessary, right?
- We are just one step closer to Team OFC reunion!!
- Fitz & His Kids - We learned much more than we ever had about Fitz and his kids - Karen, Jerry and Teddy than we ever did! We know that Fitz plays tennis with Karen who hates tennis. We also know that Fitz fires off political questions to Karen. We also know that Jerry’s shy and sensitive. Knowing Big Jerry and Fitz are you surprised that Jerry’s shy and sensitive? We also know that Fitz was looking forward to spending time with them. We also know that Mellie sent the kids away to boarding school because she doesn’t have the mother gene. (Tell us EVERYTHING, Fitz!) LAWD!!!
- They didn’t want to come! Karen and Jerry didn’t want to come! Damn it! “They know their father is not their father.” (Wall slides!) This scene though???
- You’re different. You changed! You’re Big Jerry!
- I am not the mole, Cy! I’m not the mole. Osbourne was right! He wasn’t the mole! He picked the agency over his family. He missed dance rectials with his daughter and he hasn’t had a real date with his wife because he picked his duty and honor to the agency over all. Didn’t you feel for this man when it was revealed he wasn’t the mole? Look at him with his family!
Scott Foley had this to share about tonight’s episode to THR:
THR: Might Jake be framing Osborne in an attempt to gain a position in Fitz’s Cabinet and infiltrate the White House?
Foley: There was that offer from Fitz when he says, “Maybe we can find a more permanent place in this administration for you.” That’s very intriguing to Jake, and something that anybody — especially a career Navy and military man like Jake — aspires to.
THR: Does Jake know who the mole is?
Foley: I don’t think so. Right now he’s doing his best to serve two masters, to appease Fitz and do the best he can with the information he has. Jake and Joe’s character have a separate agenda that we’re going to be privy to in later episodes. He’s delicately balancing his responsibilities and place in both Fitz’s life and this other life we’re not privy to yet.
THR: How soon will we find out more about Jake’s secret life?
Foley: By the end of the season we’ll know! (Laughs.) We all want it to be the next episode. But as each episode goes — we’re shooting episode 20 now and I’m not 100 percent sure what’s happening with the depth of the deception and these different factions that Shonda has created that are alive in this story line. Whether it’s the Fitz-Jake dynamic or the Fitz and the director [Joe’s character] dynamic, there’s a lot we’re going to find out and a lot that’s still left on the table.
THR: Let’s talk about that steamy kiss: How will Olivia respond to Jake planting one on her?
Foley: Jake knows she has a case of cold feet and he has prepared himself to talk her into what she really wants — and that’s a chance, a possibility. We’re all looking for, if we haven’t found it yet, the opportunity to find someone. Olivia, even though she said in that speech to Edison that she doesn’t want the normal relationship, she wants something and Jake is something. The fact that he has the willpower to kiss her and then leave her there is such a great move and such a strong play because it only works in his favor. Intentionally, it leaves Olivia wanting more. Whether or not we’ll see that is a question for next week. There’s a possibility that the steamy smooching you saw tonight is just the beginning.
THR: When will Olivia find out about who Jake really is?
Foley: It will be a while before Olivia finds out who Jake really is. A lot of what the audience wants her to find out — the questions that are already — will be answered within the next two episodes. Jake can’t keep every secret from her. Within the next two episodes, huge secrets will be revealed. There was a table read for episode 218 or 219 where everybody gasped at a certain point in this story line. There’s an amazing moment coming where some major questions are answered for Olivia about Jake and she has the same reaction that the audience has had when they found out.
THR: How soon will Fitz find out about Jake and Olivia?
Foley: I can only imagine what that would look like. Hypothetically, it would be ugly. Anytime you trust somebody and they betray your trust, the spiral you go through and the questions that you have — not only about the reality of what’s happening but also about yourself and the trust you put in someone — is catastrophic. Should Fitz find out about Jake and Olivia, the outcome would be explosive. That being said, I have no idea what happens when Fitz finds out about Jake! (Laughs.)
Let’s talk about the quotes shall we?
- Something Mellie this way comes.
- Poor little rich girl.
- As a friend of mine likes to say, “It’s handled.”
- You’re Big Jerry.
So this episode of Scandal was simply amazing. It gave us yet again insight on our favorite characters. We learned much more about Harrison, Olivia, Jake, Quinn, Hollis and Huck, didn’t we? Thoughts?